- Marshmallows. Every time Kaylee went potty, she got a large marshmallow. This worked pretty well for us!
- Chocolate. We used Hershey's hugs, and this is what she got every time she went #2 in the potty. She had this part down in no time at all. Apparently she loves chocolate--Is she a typical female or what? (We have moved on to Starbursts, and that is working too. Basically anything extra tasty that she never gets otherwise).
- We started using Dora Pants (Pampers Easy-Ups) instead of diapers so she could pull them up and down by herself. (FYI, Pampers Easy-Ups are designed for smaller/thinner babies/toddlers than Huggies Pull-Ups are.)
- When she was going to the potty more or less on a regular basis, I put her in panties instead of Dora pants. I did this sometime last fall, when Kaylee was somewhere between 27 and 29 months old. I was hoping that when she wet herself it would bother her so much that she wouldn't do it anymore, but instead she would just do a funny walk around the house with wet pants until I figured out what happened. This did not work at all, so I decided that she just wasn't ready.
- Back to Dora Pants.
- After another couple of months or so, I starting letting her play around the house with no pants on. No diaper, no panties, nothing. This really helped her recognize when she had the urge to go.
- When it looked like she had the no pants thing down for a while, I started putting her in panties. No pants, though. If she had pants on, she would pee, but if she had on only panties she would use the potty.
- Finally, when she was in Dora Pants at church in toddler nursery and still didn't wet herself but asked to use the potty, we started putting putting panties on AND pants at home.
- Voila! Potty success! Yayyyy!
I know that Koltin will probably not be so easy! With Koltin, he was going potty pretty much every single time in the potty (#1, not #2). But when we introduced Diego pants, he stopped. Personally, I don't think he was ready to be quite that grown up. It was like he was saying, "Whoa! What do you think I am, a big boy? I don't think so! I need to be taken care of thank-you-very-much!" Is he a typical male or what? ;)